Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers

Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers
Lilypie Third Birthday tickers

Sunday, September 14, 2008

Hurricane Ike

Wow, what a weekend!! Dwayne, Peyton, Brady and I left our house on Friday morning and went over to my parents house to ride out the storm. We had plenty of food, water and a generator. We spent Friday preparing for the storm and having some fun. Peyton and Papa went swimming to enjoy being outside.


Friday evening the winds picked up, and by 7pm the power was going on and off. By 9pm the power was off for good. We played cards by flashlight while the kids tryed to get some sleep. I was not prepared for the strength of this storm. By 2am it was wild outside. You could feel the house shake a little bit with every gust of wind. By 3 or 4am we had winds of 75 mph with a lot of rain, that lasted about 4 hours. My parents have a room upstairs that has no windows. We all stayed in that room and listened to the storm. I told my mom that I never want to ride out another hurricane. We were hearing things hit the windows and things snapping and cracking. It was awful! I can't imagine what the people went through that rode the storm in Galveston.


Once the storm calmed down the guys started up the generator. It was nice to finally have a fan blowing on us. We had tropical storm force winds for at least half of the day and lots of rain. My parents house had very minimal damage, which surprised all of us. Our house and my sisters house was fine.





We finally got poser back to our house Saturday evening. We feel very fortunate and blessed to not have damage.





Here are some pictures of our weekend!


Peyton and Papa Swimming before Ike hit

My parents lawn furniture tied down

Please keep all of those without power and those that have lost everything in your thoughts and prayers!!

3 comments:

Shari Hansen said...

So so glad all is well with you guys! Like I said on Lezlie's blog, I'm glad to hear that you guys will not be staying for another hurricane -- it's really hard on those of us not included in the "hurricane party" -- we worry so much and it would just be easier if we know you are safe! Love to all the kids! And keep some for you and D.

Grandma/GG said...

Shari is right! It was a terrible time for all of us - waiting to hear from you. We were so glad to finally get a call from your Mom. We could finally breathe easy again. So glad you all came out with as little damage as you got. I can't believe some of the devistation that we are seeing on TV and yet I know these storms show no mercy. Will continue to pray for all of them and you.

Thanks for pics. The ones of the kids are darling. I'm surprised those tie-downs held the funiture but glad it did. Take care and know that

I love you,
GG

Mathias and Craig Families said...

We're glad to hear you're all okay & had minimal if any damage! Mom actually looked up where you live online to see how close you were! Needless to say we were concerned for your family & so happy God protected you all! ~W.